The mission of St. Augustine's Church
We invite people into the midst of the Church, which is the Body of Christ. We connect with God and one another. We equip ourselves as disciples. We ask God to send us forth to share Christ’s mission of peace, service, and justice in the world.
At St. Augustine’s we strive to live into our mission with grace and generosity. Recognizing that we do not exist to ourselves alone, we support the ministries of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago by offering our Common Mission Share. This is our own generous financial pledge as a parish in support of the Episcopal Church’s witness to the world.
Additionally, we seek to fulfill our mission in these particular ways:
St. Augustine’s helps shelter people experiencing homelessness. For a week at a time, three weeks of the year, families make St. Augustine’s their home through the Family Promise Network. Our classrooms become family bedrooms, our parish hall is transformed into a living and dining room. Our members cook and serve meals, play with children, talk with parents, and sleep overnight as hosts.
St. Augustine’s helps feed hungry people. We distribute bread weekly from grocery stores that would otherwise be wasted. We collect food every month that we share with local pantries. We serve a each month at A Just Harvest Soup Kitchen, which provides a hot meal to hungry people every day of the year.
St. Augustine’s undergirds our direct ministries to end hunger and homelessness by sending our financial support of:
- Family Promise Network: Supporting families struggling with homelessness in their return to independent living
- Bread for the World Institute: Urging national leaders to end hunger in our country and around the world
- A Just Harvest Soup Kitchen, St. Cyprian’s Pantry, Hillside Pantry, New Trier Pantry, Greater Chicago Food Depository
St. Augustine’s also helps financially by sending resources to support good work in our own community, in those nearby, and around the world. Last year we gave in support of:
- ReVive Christmas Baskets: Providing gifts to families living in poverty in Chicago
- Re-settlement Support: St. Augustine's helps to offset the rent costs of a Syrian refugee family now living locally
- Episcopal Relief and Development: Working around the world to save lives and transform communities
- American Friends of the Episcopal Diocese of Jerusalem: Supporting education and health care in the Holy Land
- Cathedral Counseling Center: Offering professional, affordable mental health services
- El Hogar de Amor y Esperanza: Caring for and empowering abandoned children in Honduras
- Girl Scout Troop 40834: Offering a five day summer program in the fine arts for children
- Legal Assistance Program of Metropolitan Chicago: Providing a range of legal services to people living in poverty
- Meals at Home: Delivering meals for 48 years to people living at home who are unable to feed themselves
- Open Communities: Promoting just and inclusive communities in north suburban Chicago