The mission of St. Augustine's Church
We invite people into the midst of the Church, which is the Body of Christ. We connect with God and one another. We equip ourselves as disciples. We ask God to send us forth to share Christ’s mission of peace, service, and justice in the world.
At St. Augustine’s we strive to live into our mission with grace and generosity. Recognizing that we do not exist to ourselves alone, we support the ministries of the Episcopal Diocese of Chicago by fulfilling our full Common Mission Share. This is our own generous financial pledge as a parish in support of the Episcopal Church’s witness to the world.
Additionally, we seek to fulfill our mission in these particular ways:
St. Augustine’s helps shelter people experiencing homelessness. For a week at a time, three weeks of the year, families make St. Augustine’s their home through the Family Promise Network. Our classrooms become family bedrooms, our parish hall is transformed into a living and dining room. Our members cook and serve meals, play with children, talk with parents, and sleep overnight as hosts.
St. Augustine’s helps feed hungry people. We distribute bread weekly from grocery stores that would otherwise be wasted. We collect food every month that we share with local pantries. We serve at A Just Harvest Soup Kitchen, which provides a hot meal to hungry people every day of the year. We have walked together for many years in the CROP Hunger Walk, raising money toward a day when no one will go hungry.
St. Augustine’s undergirds our direct ministries to end hunger and homelessness by sending our financial support of:
- Family Promise Network: Supporting families struggling with homelessness in their return to independent living
- A Just Harvest Soup Kitchen
- St. Cyprian’s Pantry, Hillside Pantry, New Trier Pantry, St. Augustine’s Indian Center, Greater Chicago Food Depository, Bread for the World
St. Augustine’s also helps financially by sending resources to support good work in our own community, in those nearby, and around the world. Last year we gave in support of:
- ReVive Christmas Baskets: Providing gifts to families living in poverty in Chicago
- Episcopal Relief and Development: Working locally around the world to save lives and transform communities
- El Hogar de Amor y Esperanza: Caring for and empowering abandoned children in Honduras by offering a loving home and an education
- American Friends of the Diocese of Jerusalem: Building hope and peace by supporting education and health care in the Holy Land